Thursday, March 4, 2010

Garden updates

For the record, this is my first garden. Ever.

Friday, (Feb. 26 I guess?) I was feeling a little down-trodden and discouraged in the gardening department as we sat down to dinner together. Caleb was probably dropping food/his milk sippy/food/his sippy...you get the idea... on the floor, and I got up from the table (again...does anyone else feel like a chicken with its head cut off when trying to have a meal with their little one?), probably to get napkins or something.

Well, to make a long story short (or vice-versa, I think), I happened to glance at my little sproutless pots sitting on the floor near the sliding glass door, and immediately my outlook on life (gardening) brightened. There were seedlings peeking up through the soil in 4 of my 6 onion pots-!!! I was BEYOND EXCITED, as Joe will attest, and my mood was sky-high for the rest of the weekend. I told Joe countless times how excited I am that my onions sprouted. And I transplanted them to the garden box on Monday, and the 5th one has since sprouted--yippee!!

Now that you know how excited I got over onions sprouting, imagine my pure delight when I discovered this morning after putting Caleb down for a nap that, finally, my pepper pots are showing tiny seedlings pushing up from the dirt (in 2 or maybe 3--it could be a tiny rock that looks like a new seedling--of 4 pots)...AND, this afternoon, when I took Caleb out back to "water the carrots" (no signs of those yet, I fear I may have baked the newly-sprouted seeds), I discovered that ONE OF THE POTATOES HAS SPROUTED!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I proudly showed Caleb the new plant, and without thinking, told him it was like a baby plant. He started saying "baby", though of course I'm sure he had no idea what I was talking about.

For those seasoned gardeners who might know that onions and peppers and potatoes sprouting is nothing to shout about, kindly keep your knowledge to yourself. I feel like celebrating :)

In fact, I'm gonna go check on my peppers.

9 comments:

Mardi said...

yea! that is so exciting. it is so great to actually see your work! chris and eli planted peas last week. we told eli that the peas are sleeping so he can't wake them up. it's the only way to keep him from digging them up.

Camille said...

Congrats! I would be excited too if I was growing a garden! :)

Rachel said...

nice sall!! last year I grew tomatoes in a pot on the porch of our 3rd story apt...I checked everyday to see if I had any tomato buds. and once they started coming I was elated!! I would count them once a week to see how many I had...haha, so I totally understand you.

ps. our blog is rachelchild.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Seeds sprouting always makes me happy too! Good luck with your garden this year! And I agree it's so hard to do with little ones wanting to "help"! :) They sure do love to play in the dirt!

Kim said...

I hope I have as good luck as you... I'm going to do my first garden this year, I'm a little scared nothing will grow.

JoDell said...

Yeah! That's definitley exciting. I know, because I've never been successful at keeping a plant alive...even the ones I didn't have to plant! So, congrats!

And, for the record, some nights I still feel like a chicken with my head cut off when it comes to dinner. Not every day, though...it does get better. :)

Jami said...

Woohoo for the sweet little seedlings! I have some seeds and I still need to plant them :/ and yeah, sometimes getting the kids fed is so I crazy that I forget to eat :>

Rachelle K said...

Ha-ha...I LOVED your comments about being a chicken without its head at dinner time...I totally understand the feeling. And lately I can't believe how much food makes it onto the floor and how little actually goes into her mouth. The little ones keep life exciting! :0)

Heather said...

Seeds are totally something to shout about. Our poor tomatoes died after spending almost two months on my kitchen table with loving care. We bought plants yesterday and planted them. They already look happier and so are we. Good Luck on your garden. It's fun.