Saturday, May 16, 2009

Whoah! Did you feel that?

Wow, we just had an earthquake that was centered less than 15 km from our town!  I had just put Caleb down for a nap, when I heard/felt two loud "booms", and then felt our building shake, for no more than a second.  I honestly thought that a large truck, maybe a garbage truck, crashed into our apartments!  I ran to the window...

we just had an aftershock!  Whoah, that's wild.  I haven't felt an earthquake since we lived in Southern California when I was about ten.

Anyway, I ran to the window, looking for the culprit, then ran outside to see if I could find who it was, but all I found were a couple small boys, throwing a plastic ball against the building wall.

When Joe got home from box-hunting at the sports equipment store, I said, "the strangest thing happened ten minutes ago."  And he said, "Yeah, an earthquake!  We felt it in the store!"  I was shocked--I really hadn't thought it could be that!  We jumped onto the computer, of course, and found on usgs.gov that it was measured as a 3.3, centered 6 km south of Euless, and at a depth of 5 km.

Then, like I said, as i was typing this, we felt an aftershock!  Crazy.  There were already cracks in this apartment (walls and ceiling), so now I'm thinking we need to get outta here ASAP, before an earthquake collapses it altogether.  Ha ha, not really...but kinda. :)

Did anyone feel it, too?

-Update-
The first quake was at about 12:30, and by 1:20 we have felt 4 aftershocks...and counting.

8 comments:

Camille said...

Whoa, that's kind of cool! As long as you're safe, that is. :) How exciting!

Tracy Haws said...

I thought, "I'm in tornado country, not earthquake country" and discounted the earthquake theme and went for "our foundation must have just bit the dust and fully cracked in half" theme. Crazy huh?

Ella WILLIAMSON said...

WOW ANOTHER EARTHQUAKE IN TEXAS. GOOD LUCK! ARE YOU READY TO MOVE TO SOUTH TEXAS?

Susan said...

Crazy..scary and kinda fun! When are you guys moving? I hope you enjoy graduation! I hope for your sake they did manage to get it moved indoors this year! I hope we can "run into each other" sometime soon too! If you ever decide to drive to Utah, you know where one of your stops along the way should be! :)

JoDell said...

That's crazy! I don't think we felt the earthquake way out here. :) Glad everyone is okay!

Is graduation this week? I wish we could be there!

Jami said...

Yeah, Scott thought someone drove their car into the house too. I was in Hurst (and probably driving) so I didn't notice anything. But he said everybody on our street came outside to see what was going on...crazy!

Aaron and Julie said...

It was insane, it woke molly from her nap. I was thinking maybe the tree in our back yard cracked and landed on the roof or something. Aaron knew what it was right away. Little smarty pants that he is!!

Net said...

funny how many people thought the same thing -- that a car had run into the bldg/house. and then my next thought was a big tree branch. or the whole tree. seriously, the hutch in our kitchen shook back and forth. CRAZY!