First off, I found this short article by Senator David Vitter (LA), here. It is about this fast-spreading cap-and-trade business that is moving so quickly through Congress that, as in other areas of legislation, many details seem to be getting pushed through unnoticed. See what you think.
Second, and lastly for tonight, my dad sent me an email he put together about the potential 7 US senators that could "save American medicine and the American economy from deficits so large as to crush the dollar"(Hugh Hewitt) by voting NO on cloture of the health care bill so that it doesn't get to be brought to the floor for debate. These senators, also found at this link, are:
Indiana's Evan Bayh, Colorado's Michael Bennet, North Dakota's Byron Dorgan, Louisiana's Mary Landrieu, Connecticut's Joe Lieberman, Arkansas' Blanche Lincoln, or Nebraska's Ben Nelson (-Hugh Hewitt)
Go here if you'd like to read Hugh's analysis of this situation.
And now for my call to action: Call the senate's switchboard at 202-224-3121 for each of the seven (and for your own senators, if you have not). My dad said the operator was very helpful in connecting him with their offices. When you get through, urge each to vote NO on bringing the bill to a debate. I'll be doing this first thing tomorrow.
I also want to add that, of course, it is my own particular view that this universal health care bill is NOT the solution to our nation's health care costs and other related problems. Regardless of your view, however, it is each of our personal responsibility to make ourselves and our views heard by those who represent us in the government--that's why they are called representatives. So let them know how you feel!
Update: I just found evidence that the cloture vote will be on Saturday, so you have tomorrow and Friday to make your voice heard!
Update: I just found evidence that the cloture vote will be on Saturday, so you have tomorrow and Friday to make your voice heard!




1 comment:
Thanks for these links Sally. I don't get sick of your political emails, maybe because I always agree with you! :)
I totally agree about calling your senators and urging others to do so! Even if you're pretty certain your Senators are for the bill...they still need to hear from their constituents who oppose it even if it's unlikely they'll change their mind. This is the case with mine, but I always get a reply letter or email, so at least I know my view is getting through.
Post a Comment