Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 1 - A Success!

Joe officially started residency yesterday, and he left not knowing if he'd be back that night, because there was a good chance he'd be on call (30-ish hour shift) for his first day. However, he called me at noon and said "Guess what? I'm post-call today." And that was that! He was home at 2:00, and took the afternoon to study (and to work on finishing his online defensive driving course--he got a ticket the last time we drove to SA:), and we got to spend the evening together! We ate Hawaiian haystacks for dinner, had a visit with the bishopric who stopped by, put Caleb to bed, chatted, watered our dead-looking lawn (still trying to resurrect it), and watched some of the movie series Planet Earth that Joe got for his birthday. It was a very nice end to a great first day. :)

Other good news: this rotation is currently Q4 instead of Q3, and once the third intern gets his ssn, it will change to Q6! What good luck!

(Translation:  Joe was supposedly going to be on-call every third night, i.e., Q3, but turns out it's only every 4th night, i.e., Q4!  The third intern in his group has had trouble getting his ssn, so he can't work until he does.  Once he has that, he'll join the rotation, and Joe will only be on-call every 6th night!  Woo-hoo! :)

And we've set a date for our temple sealing with Caleb--Friday, July 10. My parents will be here, and both of our brothers and their wives, so that will be nice. Joe's parents will be here in spirit, but their mission in Mexico got extended, so they will be faithfully serving down there. We will miss them, but we are grateful for their example of service!

I know I have a lot to update from the past while (month or two?), but I had to start somewhere.... :) I'll eventually get some pics on here, too.

9 comments:

The Queen of Clearance said...

You sound very busy! You must be so proud of joe!

JoDell said...

Yeah! Glad your first day was a success! I'm not sure what the jargon means, but if you're happy about it, then it must be good. :)

I'm so excited for your sealing! Douglas and I will be there in spirit, too.

Rosanna said...

Way to go Joe...is your residency what you expected? What in the world is Q3 and such? You'll have to fill me in. Also, I'm glad you have a date set for the sealing...I really wish I could be there, but I'll send Mom and Dad in my place. :)

M and M said...

We're glad it sounds like you're having fun down there. And congratulations on setting the sealing date, Matt and I are so happy for you guys. We miss you too!

PS: We love Planet Earth, isn't it amazing?

The Queen of Clearance said...

I wish i made my cartoon on my banner! I did make the banner however and add the cartoon to it, and I did design the cartoon but It is through a website...and I do not have the website on this computer but once I get to my other computer I will look and see If I can find it for you! Did that make sense at all! I hear ya on the "bust" thing. It hard to be on the extreme ends. I also have a size 11 foot and I can never find shoes in my size and best friend has a size 5 foot and she can never find anything in her size and we both complain all the time!

Susan said...

I'm so happy you all have set a date! That is just wonderful!

I'm so glad, for both of you, that Joe doesn't have to start out on Q3. Even Q4 makes such a difference to me - I HATE Q3! Brian's on Q2 call right now, but it's "home call" and he hasn't had to go in a lot, most of the stuff he can handle on the phone from home so it's not bad at all. And it's only during the week - he only has to work one weekend this month - YAY! Welcome to residency!!!

Camille said...

Yay for the update! I was starting to wonder if you were alive! Are you ever going to call me back? :) That's awesome about Joe's rotation not being as bad as expected, but that's too bad about his parents not being able to make the sealing. How exciting that you finally set a date! I still wish that date was in August in Utah, but know that I'll be there in spirit as well. :) I still want to hear about your house? Call me! I love you!

P.S. And I love the background! I'm way behind...I need to get festive again on my blog!

Jen York said...

Rock on for Q6!! Hope it sticks! We miss you guys but it sounds like you're pretty settled there. I'm glad for you guys!

Congrats on plans being set for the sealing. We went to the temple open house down there. It's gorgeous!

Jami said...

Yea, lots of good news! Glad to hear it!