Sunday, November 7, 2010

Gratitude

I had the opportunity to teach a lesson on gratitude in our Young Women class today. I enjoyed preparing for it (though I was somewhat stressed--bad habit I have), and I enjoyed giving it, but I must say, I don't know if I took it as much to heart as I ought to have--that is, until I read my friend's post a few minutes ago and realized how much I need to have more gratitude in my own perspective on my everyday life. (You'd think I'd have gotten this already, having had to wait for the adoption process in order to have sweet little voices making music in our home...sigh. How quickly we forget and take things for granted!)

Part of what she wrote is as follows.

"Losing Julianne and having Kaitlyn has changed my perspective a lot. Instead of looking at messes with a sigh and a groan and looking forward to having a meal without spilled milk, I now walk by the pile of wet rags on the washer and think, "Aw. That means we have children here." Such a sweet thought. Instead of being annoyed with their idiosyncrasies and annoying habits I'm trying to laugh about them and appreciate them. I'm taking mental pictures of my children's faces as they laugh when they stir so hard that the batter splats out, or are looking peaceful as they are intently reading a book, lips twitching every so often and unaware of the world around them. Evidence that we have children is all around me and I love it. Ordinarily I can't stand a messy house, but I'm trying to see the good in it. Clothes on the floor mean they aren't wearing their only outfit. A hair tie or ribbon on the floor means we have girls and that our girls have hair. Towels on the floor mean we have hot water and clean kids. Kids fighting mean our children have siblings. Books all over the house mean our kids can read and we have a library with unlimited checkouts. A stinky bathroom garbage full of diapers means we have a baby with healthy bowels. High pitched squeals mean our kids are having fun. Soggy cereal bowls mean our kids have enough food to eat or else they would have gobbled up every last drop. All of the toys we have signify they have plenty of playtime. I'm so glad we live in a time of plenty where the kids and I don't have to go to work or have unending chores on a farm with only two outfits. We're so blessed."

Thanks, M., for reminding me! :)

6 comments:

Diana said...

So much to be grateful for. Today I am grateful for your post. Thanks for sharing!

Camille said...

Thanks for the reminder. I definitely needed that. :) It's amazing how quickly I can forget. Just having two healthy, happy little children is so much to be grateful for!

Anonymous said...

Tears in the eyes! Thanks so much for sharing.

Lacee said...

great reminder, thanks for sharing :)

The Gurrs said...

Thanks for reminding me too Sally!

Marcie said...

I saw this post a few weeks ago but was holding a wiggly baby and didn't get to comment. I would have never thought someone would share my post with others. That means a lot to me. You're right about how quickly we take things for granted. I'm glad I wrote that when I did because I haven't felt like that lately and I especially needed to be reminded of it today because I've had a hard week. On another note, I love what you write in your margins about the cute things Caleb says. It cheers me up, especially picturing his little voice. I love that stage of learning to talk. So adorable!! Love and miss you!