Monday, November 1, 2010

Terrible Two's?

Caleb seems to have become a full-fledged destructive little boy about 2 days ago. Last night and this morning bout did me in. As Daddy came out of the bedroom at 11:30 am today, after getting some rest post-call, he was to find:

two piles of formula powder on the carpet by the piano, one of them with a footprint (Mommy's?) and handprint (Caleb's) in it;
soggy cheerios and milk spilled on the table, 2 chairs, and kitchen floor;
a piece of soggy banana on the carpet;
wet towels on the bathroom floor, the rug skewompus, and boys shorts and sandals scattered in there;
Caleb running around in a jammie shirt and diaper, carrying a piece of a book;
Ella waking up from an all-too-short nap after crashing in an over-tired state, after she'd woken up early, resisted a morning nap, and then been hit in the head with a hard plastic Christmas tree and layed on by Caleb;
Mommy trying to restrain tears that had been falling not 5 minutes before, because of all of the above, and because she'd been up for nearly 5 hours and still had not been able to eat breakfast.

Thank heavens for a tough Daddy of the house who is so supportive and tries so hard to make things easier for me! After I ate breakfast and he sent Caleb outside and wiped up the cheerios, he sent me to lie down, and while I rested, I heard the vacuum, a loud, cheerful Caleb, a screaming Ella, Daddy taking Caleb to "time-out"... and then I decided that two parents is always better than one, and I got up from my rest time to help him out. Now they are both sleeping, and the house is quiet again. Whew!

Good thing this rascal is so cute... ;)
choosing his "hah-wee pokin' " (Halloween pumpkin) with Daddy


a sweet, sleeping angel

10 comments:

Mardi said...

Oh my goodness. Phew! I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there.

M and M said...

I agree 2 parents is always better than one! It is a good thing they are just so gosh darn cute :)

Camille said...

It's amazing how fast they can make and incredible mess, isn't it? :) Yes, two parents is definitely better than one. But when you only have one, you just do your best. And try to laugh about it, which can be really hard some days, especially when you're sleep deprived and hungry. :) Way to blog about it---at least you can laugh later. :)

Cute pics, by the way!!! Need more....

Aaron and Julie said...

Sally I would like to say that it gets easier or hang in there but in all honesty I feel like motherhood is one of the hardest things I have EVER done!! Constant battles everyday I keep telling myself I wouldn't care so much about it if I didn't love my kids so much. Someone put it nicely, What doesn't kill you will make you stronger... and boy are us mothers going to be PRETTY strong!! Just try to take those days one at a time and yay for daddys!!! god was inspired when he created man AND WOMAN!!

Mommydew said...

Ummm, those babies are adorable.

Don't get discouraged, you are not alone. You're kids are great (and acting 'normal')!

And one day, all too soon, they'll be grown and the house will be quiet a lot. So try to enough the chaos while it lasts.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the whole parenting thing is prety tough... You go girl! I know you're an awesome mommy!

Kimberli said...

What a DAY!!! Glad you survived! Its amazing that our little angels can be such stinkers, isn't it? Don't just sit and wonder what in the world is going through those cute little brains? And living the life of a busy resident's wife doesn't simplify things either. It means BOTH of you are exhausted all the time. Ah, Sally, I wish I could come over and bring you dinner and let Caleb come play at our house for a few hours. Good luck, my dear!

Diana said...

And some days are like that, even in Australia. Wow! What a busy, busy boy... and I hear that three is even worse than two. Wish I could be there to help! Hang in there friend!

Net said...

Ah... parenthood. Isn't it grand? :)

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

Hey Sally, I was just stopping by to say hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I think that it is so awesome that you have adopted to beautiful children. This past Thanksgiving my SIL and her husband adopted a little girl. It has been a unique situation for my as now I have been on both sides of the adoption process with my sister being a birth mother a year ago and my SIL now being an adoptive mother. Adoption is an awesome process, and the Lord has a hand in every part of it. Have a Merry Christmas with your babies:)