Sunday, April 27, 2008

And speaking of not having kids yet...

So, maybe 2 years ago or so (I probably rounded up, but not by much ;), I said to Joe, "If we still don't have any kids in 2 years, we're getting a puppy." For all intents and purposes, that time has come and gone. So, yesterday, I did something drastic. (drum roll...)


Meet our new kitty!
I found a few "ragdoll" cats up for adoption online, and drove all over the metroplex to look at them until I found this sweet guy. His name is "Zek" (that's what his official papers say), and we're not sure if the owner pronounced it to rhyme with 'shrek' or 'cheek'; we've been going with the 'cheek' version, because it sounds more like a name.


He was really skittish when I first brought him home; he ran under the bed in our second bedroom, and basically didn't come out until almost midnight. But we were wide awake because we were so excited about our new pet, so we stayed up with him, talking to him and petting him, and watching him nervously explore the house, until almost 3 a.m.-! (that's pretty darn late for us...) The poor guy must be missing his family, because he cried quite a bit when we were going to bed. Joe kept putting him off the bed, but just as I was slipping into dream land, I felt him walking over me. I looked up, and he was standing pretty close to my face and looking at me. Then I saw him later curled up on the end of the bed near Joe's feet, where he slept. It was sweet. (That is, until Joe moved his foot in the morning, and Zek grabbed ahold of his foot-! hee hee! I shouldn't laugh)


Today, he has been sweet--he's warming up to us, and he follows us from room to room, like a dog. (That's one of the distinguishing features of the ragdoll breed. The others include larger size, beautiful soft, 'poofy' fur, and a very easygoing, calm personality. Our friends have had one for about 9 years, and they love him!)

Right now, he doesn't look too large because he's so skinny and his fur is a little thin and ragged, but we expect he'll fill out and his fur will fill in. :) He's so pretty even still!

9 comments:

Camille said...

Wow, Sal! That is so fun! And he is a beautiful cat. Thanks for sharing the news and pics! (And you didn't even mention it last night...) :)

Camille said...

And I like Zeek better than Zek...good choice. :)

Ella WILLIAMSON said...

Way to Go!
Congrats to your adoption cat, Zek.
We are happy for you.

Mommydew said...

Sally you own my dream cat! I have always wanted a ragdoll, I'm slightly obsessed with looking at them online! You have to hook me up with where you got him!

He is adorable!

Jami said...

He's really pretty! Good for you, I bet you guys love him!

Net said...

wow, can we come meet him? my girls are going to die when they find out you have a cat. Andrea's been talking about visiting everyone she knows that has one for the last week!

Bill Gates II said...

That's so wonderful you guys! We got Larry recently, and he's not much to look at but we love him. Zek, on the other hand, is beautiful. Maybe our cats can have a playdate. I think they need something other than husbands' toes to play with.

p.s. if you find Zek is missing one of these days, check behind your T.V. and in your box spring. Just thought I'd save you some time.

Kim said...

Yea for your new little kitty!!! I'm glad you guys are enjoying him.

Julie said...

What a beautiful kitty!! We love ragdolls! One of our neighbors had like 3 of them and I loved to pick them up - I love the way they just kind of hang when you hold them - and they're so soft and sweet. :)
Congrats on your new kitty! :)